Republic day, 26th Jan, Ithape Institute invited me as the chief guest for flag hoisting and to deliver a motivating speech to their students from 11 colleges. Earlier, i would prepare for weeks to deliver one such speech but now there is no preparation. Now, there is surrender and submission to the divine energy and gratefulness on receiving the messages. Then the speech is extempore.
On 25th, received that as republic day is about the formation of the constitution in which the principles were written based on which the country would operate in the future, and so i should be talking about principles on which our life should be based from the students point of view.
One of the top most university of the world Oxford University has found 7 common PROBLEMS of Students which were related to education & study:
1. experiencing low motivation
2. too many distractions
3. difficulty concentrating
4. difficulty remembering facts and figures
5. don’t enjoy the subject you’re studying
6. lack the right resources
7. struggle with time management
If you have any of the above problems and if you wish to overcome the problem, then our scripture has the solutions. This one shloka is the solution to all the problems a student faces while studying:
काक चेष्टा, बको ध्यानं, स्वान निद्रा तथैव च ।
अल्पहारी, गृहत्यागी, विद्यार्थी पंच लक्षणं ॥
भावार्थ: एक विद्यार्थी मे यह पांच लक्षण होने चाहिए..
कौवे की तरह जानने की चेष्टा,
बगुले की तरह ध्यान,
कुत्ते की तरह सोना
अल्पाहारी, आवश्यकतानुसार खाने वाला
और गृह-त्यागी होना चाहिए ।
Meaning: Student should have the following 5 qualities:
• Efforts like a crow
• Focus like a crane
• Sleep like a dog
• Appropriate diet
• Celibacy & detachment from family
The famous story of thirsty crow: a crow is very thirsty and he searches for water everywhere he could but finds only an earthen pot with very little water at its base till where its beak cant reach. So one by one he gathers stones and puts in the pot till the water cones up and then he happily drink the water.
• Be a positive thinker
• Don't give up and be persistent till you reach your goal
• Think about the possibilities and overcome the difficulties
Few quotes on education by great personalities:
1. “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” —Malcolm X.
2. An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” – Benjamin Franklin
3. Education is the key to unlocking the world, a passport to freedom.” – Oprah Winfrey
4. The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.” – Aristotle
“Only the educated are free.” – Epictetus
5. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi
6. Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” – Aristotle
7. Education is the movement from darkness to light.” – Allan Bloom
8. “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”– Maimonides
9. When everything goes, education remains - Albert Einstein
What is your takeaway?
Which quote can you connect with?
Are you or your child facing any problems in life?
Send us your feedback and question and we will write about it and revert back.
- Manjushree Rathi
Director, ME Holistic Centre
Part 2 coming next week.